I work with older adults who have decided to move into new living environments, downsize their existing homes for independent living, or join family members near or far. This is a time consuming process and often times family members are too busy to help. Moving a home that has been lived in for more that 10 years can take some time. Family members often hire me to handle the entire move process. The following is illustrivie of the process that I manage from start to finish.
Move Evaluation & Plan Development
Work with the client and/or family to determine what the requirements are for the move. Develop a detailed plan for the move that includes the steps we can take to move, with a workable time-line to follow that we all will agree will work for your specific situation.
Organizing the Home for the Move
• Keep - Identification of items to take with you
• Sell - Determine if there are items that need to be sold. Sometimes an expert in antiques is necessary. For less important items, I can sell them for you and receive the potential buyers with you.
• Donate - There are many charitable organizations that are more than willing to receive items you want to give away. I have lists of organizations that I work with
• Transfer - Family and friends may be receiving items from you that need to be shipped or delivered.
• Toss - I believe in letting go of items you no longer need and I make every effort to do this in an ecologically correct fashion. As a Bay Area native I'm aware of all options when disposing items from your home.
Evaluate moving companies with you to determine the best possible company to work with. Manage the move day and save you from the worry.
Creating the New Space
Develop a floor plan and decide with you where everything will go. Unpacking your belongings and making you as comfortable as possible with new organizational systems. I orient you to your new living environment and community.
Managing the Details
There are so many tiny details for a move and I manage the process from beginning to end. Examples of details I manage are:
• Transfer of pharmacy
• Transfer of Medical Insurance
• Handle Bills
• Close down home services
• Keeping everything organized and know where we placed your things
• Final cleaning of your home
References of moves I have managed are more than willing to speak with you.